Sunday, February 2, 2014

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

When it rains, it apparently pours. This one hits really hard, as I have been a huge fan of Hoffman's work for years. I first discovered him when he was Lester Bangs in what is still one of my favorite movies of all time, Almost Famous. I then went back and discovered his brilliant work in Boogie Nights. Since then, I have faithfully followed his career, with incredible roles in Capote, Doubt, Charlie Wilson's War (another favorite
of mine), Moneyball, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Master, Pirate Radio, The Ides of March, Synecdoche, New York, The Savages, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and Magnolia, just to name a few. We still don't know all the details of his death, although an apparent overdose is the initial belief of the NYPD, who are investigating the case and have confirmed the death (there was a cruel hoax not too long ago of his death). Another sad reminder of the crippling nature of drug addiction, especially with someone who still had so much to offer at the age of only 46. Hoffman was one of the best working actors in American cinema, an Oscar winner (and multiple nominee), and his gruff, yet lovable exterior hid beneath it and incredible talent. He will be sorely missed by his fans, and I'm sure by the people who got the opportunity to work with him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, particularly his children who have lost their father in such a tragic circumstance. Rest in Peace old friend.

Below, I have also posted a video of Hoffman in Almost Famous. It was this scene in particular that really captured my attention, and turned me on to what a talent he really was:

No comments:

Post a Comment