Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Directors Guild of America (DGA) Nominees

The five nominees for the DGA are as follows:

Ben Affleck "Argo"
Kathryn Bigelow "Zero Dark Thirty"
Tom Hooper "Les Miserables"
Ang Lee "Life of Pi"
Steven Spielberg "Lincoln"

I am proud to say that this is exactly what I predicted. The question remains, which of these five don't make the cut? Or do they all head on to the Oscars. We have to remind ourselves that the directors branch of the Academy is a lot older, a lot pickier, and prefers more high-minded nominees. So names like PTA, Haneke, or even Tarantino could get in. The big snub really is Russell. He too could make the Academy's top five, but I am kind of getting the sense that he is not as strong as the movie is as a whole. Later today I will post my final nomination predictions for Sound Mixing and Director in light of today's guild announcements and further explore the possible five nominees.

No comments:

Post a Comment