Friday, July 31, 2009

Halfway of the Year Awards: Winners!

Best Picture - Tie: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Hurt Locker

Best Director – Kathryn Bigelow “The Hurt Locker

Best Actor – Jeremy Renner “The Hurt Locker

Best Actress - Carey Mulligan "An Eductation"

Best Supporting Actor – Jim Broadbent “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

Best Supporting Actress – Leslie Mann “Funny People

Commentary: Ok, so I know I'm just a geek and love Harry Potter movies, so I went with a respectable tie with the true Best Picture so far, The Hurt Locker. Naturally, I then went with Kathryn Bigelow, who I think may score a directing nod. For the two lead parts I chose Carey Mulligan and Jeremy Renner, two fairly unknowns that have seen their buzz escalate recently. For Supporting I picked a personal favorite, not neccessarily a real contender in Jim Broadbent, who I thought was hilarious as Professor Slughorn. Finally I went with Leslie Mann for Supporting Actress. While I think Funny People is not as good as Knocked Up, I think Mann deserves some credit for consistently being one of the funniest and most talented actresses working today.

No comments:

Post a Comment