Friday, July 17, 2009

Emmy Snubs














My personal Emmy Snubs:
  • Battlestar Gallactica - Like The Wire and Gilmore Girls before, the Emmys have a tendency to miss the boat entirely on great shows, and Gallactica is no exception. Like the Oscars, the Emmys will soon need to give up their discrimination of horror (True Blood), and fantasy or their already diminished relevance to continue to dwindle.


  • Jeanne Tripplehorn "Big Love"- While I think I join a majority that was pleasantly suprised by the inclusion of Big Love into the Drama Series category, I think I can speak for all of us when I say, we were also very suprised that Jeanne Tripplehorn, and the rest of the cast was left off the list.


  • The Big Bang Theory - I was so glad to see the inclusion of Family Guy and How I Met Your Mother, but I feel they missed the mark by continuing to honor the quickly disentigrating Entourage over this clever, on-the-rise sitcom, that truly gets better with time.
  • Katherine Heigl -I know she got a lot of criticism for not submitting her name for the Emmys last year, but you have to admit that she acted her ass of this year. No matter what curveball Shonda Rhimes threw at her (including a love affair with a ghost!), she knocked it out of the park.

  • The Desperate Housewives Ladies - I know people have had problems with some of the storylines on DH the last couple of seasons, but you have to admit fast-forwarding 5 years really boosted this season almost back to the glory days of the show. Despite this, the cast (with the exception of a Guest Actor nod for Beau Bridges) was completely snubbed. The biggest being Eva Longoria and Nicollette Sheridan, who are not only the only original ladies to never receive a nomination, but who are consistently the funniest.

  • True Blood and Anna Paquin - Now this truly is a travesty: the vampire curse continues. I applaud the HFPA for honoring Anna Paquin, and we should slap the Emmys on the wrist for not following in suit. Not only was Paquin snubbed, but this incredible and original show deserved a Drama Series nod...period.

  • Calista Flockhart "Brothers & Sisters" - I know Sally Field is a legend, I get it. But Flockhart is consistently great, and consistently overlooked in favor of her overpowering co-star.

  • Last Seasons: ER and The Shield - Now the ER snub is not shocking, but kinda sad considering how long it was on TV, and more importantly, how popular it remained. But the snub of The Shield altogether is a travesty of epic proportions. I was at least glad to see CCH Pounder in the Guest Actress slot, but it doesn't make up for ignoring this incredible work of art, and unfortunately, for both of these shows, they'll never have another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment