Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Emmy Predictions: Writing in a Comedy Series

The Nominees:

1. Glee - Pilot
2. Modern Family - Pilot
3. The Office - Niagara
4. 30 Rock - Lee Marvin vs. Derek Jeter
5. 30 Rock  - Anna Howard Shaw Day

Should Win/Will Win: Modern Family - Pilot

Commentary: I think that the writing/directing awards will split this year as I think they will in the drama categories. Glee is a TV phenomenon, but is more of a directors/actors show (hint!), than a well-written show, although through pure popularity it could win the prize. The Office submitted a decent episode, but simply pales in comparison to the rest of the nominees. 30 Rock has done well in this category, and although it seems to be losing steam to Glee and Modern Family, I would not count out one of its episodes winning yet again. However, I think that the strongest point of the great Modern Family is its incredible writing, and my gut tells me that the Academy agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment