"I don't take the movies seriously, and anyone who does is in for a headache." --Bette Davis (Opinions Expressed Are My Own)
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Emmy Predictions: Directing for a Drama Series
1. Michelle MacLaren "Breaking Bad - One Minute"
2. Steve Shill "Dexter - The Getaway"
3. Jack Bender "Lost - The End"
4. Lesli Linka Glatter "Mad Men - Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency"
5. Agnieszka Holland "Treme - Do You Know What It Means?"
Should Win/Will Win - Jack Bender "Lost - The End"
Commentary: While Mad Men has the writing bascially sewn up, it is a little over its head in this category. I was thrilled that Treme got at least one big nomination, and hope that the series will eventually get Emmy voters on board, but it won't win this year. The Dexter and Breaking Bad episodes are strong, but those series' best bets are in the acting categories. Finally, that pits Mad Men and Lost, the two juggernauts against each other. I think that Lost will win at least one, maybe two or three big awards come August 29th. The almost movie-esque quality of its final episode will be enough to give it one more shot at glory.