Monday, August 10, 2009

Review: Julie & Julia

I came into the Julie & Julia experience expecting a super-light fare, which had too much butter, and wouldn’t stick with me once I left the theater. To my surprise, it did leave me with an impression, and a good one at that. On a personal level, I found this to be one of the funniest movies I have seen in a while, which consisted of great performances, edible comedy, and surprising drama that made a great story for all of us to enjoy.

The real triumph of course was the impeccable Meryl Streep. Her towering, over-the-top performance, not only steals the show, but perfectly captures the brightness, and hidden depth of the great Julia Child. Also, the casting director deserves an A+ for casting the great Stanley Tucci right beside her. Their chemistry in The Devil Wears Prada was uncanny, and really shines through.

Now for the other half. I personally love Amy Adams, and I think that she did a great job with the script that was given her. But that seemed to be the big problem. The story itself couldn’t decide the direction to take her character. Sometimes they made her narcissistic, almost bitchy, and the next minute, she’s the lovable loser having a meltdown. Now, I do believe we all have mood swings, but sometimes they felt forced, and not as coherent with the story.

Overall though, all of the actors did a great job, and played the characters with ease and a lot of heart, and Nora Ephron did an adequate job of connecting the two stories without it being choppy or too long, and the funny, likeable story teaches us life lessons without being too cheesy or forcing it down our throats like so many films do nowadays.

A Side Note: Jane Lynch as Julia’s sister was a great cameo spot, she’s so funny, and never gets the credit she deserves

Oscar Potential: Best Supporting Actress (Meryl Streep), Best Original Score (Alexandre Desplat), Adapted Screenplay (Nora Ephron), and maybe if the race is weak Best Actress (Amy Adams). I do believe though it could easily get a Best Picture nod at the Globes, as well as both women getting nominations.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment