Wednesday, January 28, 2015

2015 Grammy Predictions: Visual Media and Musical Theater

Best Musical Theater Album
Will Win - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Should Win - Aladdin
Could Win - West Side Story or Beautiful
Commentary - I am still a kid I guess, because I love what they did with Aladdin's musical translation. But I think that the power of Neil Patrick Harris will win over voters this year, and Hedwig will win big here. Watch out though for West Side Story (it is a classic), or Beautiful, which is the dark horse here. Carole King is a legend here and has won her fair share of Grammys over the year. I think voters could easily migrate there instead.

Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media
Will Win - Frozen
Could Win/Should Win - Guardians of the Galaxy
Commentary - Frozen was once thought to be an Album of the Year contender, so a lot of people expect it to triumph here. I agree with them, but Frozen has a new contender to fight win in Guardians of the Galaxy. It has great classic hits on it, and is a lot fresher than Frozen that has been out over a year now (thanks to the ridiculous eligibility periods). It is still Frozen here, but Guardians is catching up.

Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media
Will Win/Should Win - Steven Price "Gravity"
Could Win - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross "Gone Girl" or Christophe Beck "Frozen"
Commentary - I am honestly not sure what to do here. Reznor and Ross have won before, Frozen is a huge hit, and Desplat/Newman are popular composers with recent wins. Also there is a history of this award not matching up with Oscar. But I think the Gravity score was so integral to the plot and was such a bold sound that I think Price repeats here. But honestly, none of them would really surprise.

Best Song Written for Visual Media
Will Win/Should Win - Let It Go
Could Win - Everything is Awesome or I'm Not Gonna Miss You
Commentary - Everything is Awesome is a bright fun tune and I'm Not Gonna Miss You is an opportunity to reward the legendary Glen Campbell. Both are also nominated for the Oscar this year, so their campaigns are in full swing. But Let It Go was a cultural phenomenon, one of the biggest songs of the last decade, and already an Oscar winner. I'd be shocked it if missed out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment