Friday, January 30, 2015

2015 Grammy Predictions - Spoken Word, Comedy, and Music Video

Best Spoken Word Album
Will Win/Should Win - Joan Rivers: Diary of a Mad Diva
Could Win - Jimmy Carter "A Call to Action"
Commentary - Joan Rivers was a comedy legend, and Diary of a Mad Diva was everything great about Joan and her career. She is tragically gone, and has never won a Grammy. Names like Elizabeth Warren, Jimmy Carter, John Waters, and James Franco are all big names on a small ballot, but I don't think Grammy voters will pass up the opportunity to give Rivers a posthumous honor.

Best Comedy Album
Will Win - "Weird Al" Yankovic "Mandatory Fun"
Should Win/Could Win - Louis C.K. "Oh My God" and Sarah Silverman "We Are Miracles"
Commentary - I respect Weird Al, but I do not fall head over heels in love with everything he puts out, and while Mandatory Fun was so popular and I think that Grammy voters will eat it up. But I hope that they go for the much better choices of either Sarah Silverman or Louis C.K.

Best Music Video
Will Win - Sia "Chandelier"
Could Win - Pharrell Williams "Happy"
Should Win - N/A
Commentary - This one I am not really sure about. Happy is infectious, Arcade Fire is a great choice, but I think that the odd, but unusual video for Sia's Chandelier will take the prize here, and will be a nice consolation prize if she gets shut out in the pop/general categories.

Best Music Film
Will Win - Beyonce and Jay-Z: On the Run Tour
Could Win/Should Win - 20 Feet From Stardom
Commentary - 20 Feet From Stardom might have been the Oscar front runner, and triumphed there, but I don't know if they can beat the power of Beyonce and Jay-Z. For the record, 20 Feet From Stardom should win, and the Oscar only helps. I hope it pulls it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment