Monday, July 28, 2014

2014 Emmy Predictions: Best Directing in a TV Movie/Miniseries

Will Win - Ryan Murphy "The Normal Heart"

Should Win - Colin Bucksey "Fargo - Buridan's Ass" or Alfonso Gomez-Rejon "American Horror Story: Coven - Bitchcraft"

Could Win - Either Fargo episode

Commentary - This race, and its writing counterpart, could be indicative of the night as a whole. I personally think that while Fargo will easily win the Miniseries category, it may have trouble in some of the other categories up against the emotional juggernaut that is The Normal Heart. Don't get me wrong, The Normal Heart was my favorite television movie this year, but I think it pulled off its feat despite Ryan Murphy's unsteady direction. It succeeded because of the passion Larry Kramer put into the script, and the performances of its cast. If I were voting, I think the work of the directors of Fargo (my personal favorite being Buridan's Ass), and Gomez-Rejon's episode of AHS: Coven Bitchcraft are better examples of exemplary directing. But Murphy is well-liked in this industry, the film strikes an emotional chord, and I think that he takes home another directing Emmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment