Tuesday, July 8, 2014

2014 Emmy Nomination Predictions: Best Drama Series

2014 Emmy Nominations
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Mad Men
True Detective

Other Contenders - The Good Wife, Homeland, Masters of Sex, The Americans, Scandal, The Blacklist, The Walking Dead, Orphan Black, Bates Motel, The Killing, Justified, Vikings, Hannibal, Sons of Anarchy, Grey's Anatomy, Boardwalk Empire, Turn, The Newsroom, Ray Donovan, The Bridge

Commentary - I have been touting a comeback for The Good Wife, but as much as I love it, and as much as I want it to happen, I don't know if after two years of being snubbed, it can make it back into this incredibly tough Drama Series race. I think that the other nominations along the way will be its reward, but I think it will miss the cut. I also think Homeland will, although despite downward spiral that was Season 3, the guild awards this winter showed that it still has industry support. And I may regret not making room for it. The Americans and Masters of Sex are the hot shows hoping to break through, and if Emmy voters are ready to move on from some old favorites, these could the benefactors. But I still think all four of these great shows will be on the outside looking in, albeit incredibly potent dark horse contenders. We know Breaking Bad is set to return, and will enter the race as the foregone front runner. But House of Cards, True Detective, and Game of Thrones are hot on its heels, all hoping to eclipse the Breaking Bad buzz. These four are rock solid and if any of them miss the cut, I will honestly be shocked. The last two slots are tricky. I am, once again, playing it safe. The four I mentioned before are the ones hoping to get in, but I think that Emmy voters are still feeling the love for Mad Men and Downton Abbey. They appeal to the majority of the voters, they both had decent seasons, and last year's tally for both programs shows that there is still a lot of industry support. It will be an interesting race to the finish line, and I am full prepared to be proven wrong come Thursday morning. Either way, it is one of the most exciting races in years, and I can't wait to see who makes the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment