Sunday, February 27, 2011

Final Predictions - Best Picture

Nominees
“Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
“The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
“Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
“The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
“The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
“127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
“The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
“Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer
“True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
“Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

Will Win - The King's Speech
Should Win - Complicated
Could Win - The Social Network
 
Commentary - I think that the SAG, DGA, and PGA wins are going to be enough for The King's Speech to take home the Best Picture Oscar. It is as simple as that. Or is it? But The Social Network is a critical smash, it took home every major critics' award, on top of that it won the BFCA and the Golden Globe. I am still a huge TSN fan, but reality tells me that none of those prizes matter. The only significant prize it won that is an indicator of Best Picture was the ACE Eddie, and to be honest, I don't think that is enough. So there you go, The King's Speech will take the prize. The question that lingers in my mind is not who will win, but who should win? For me this is complicated. Yes, I put TSN as the top movie of the year in my own personal awards. But will I be dissappointed if all of the sudden The King's Speech wins the prize. No! This was an incredible year for movies. Last year, the 10 film format didn't really work, as we all knew that there were five above the rest of the pack. But this year, I feel that there is not one dud in the bunch, and all ten films, on their own merits deserve the recognition that they have received. So I honestly don't care if TKS wins, it was one of my favorite movies of the year. While I would love to see TSN surprise us all, I wouldn't mind if it lost to TKS, to Inception, to The Fighter, to Black Swan, to The Kids Are All Right, to Toy Story3, to infinity and beyond (a little joke). Here is my point. This was a great year for movies, and some deserving films are going to win some awards, and some deserving films are going to miss out. This has been a long season, and the votes are in, just....let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment