Sunday, January 14, 2024

2023 Emmy Predictions: Best Drama and Comedy Series

Best Drama Series
Will Win - Succession
Could Win - The White Lotus or The Last of Us
Should Win - Succession or Better Call Saul
Commentary - Succession had a mammoth year, its final season is widely beloved, and it has swept every major precursor. I think it wins. But, The White Lotus showed a lot of strength in nominations, and The Last of Us racked up at the Creative Arts Emmys. If there is an upset brewing, watch for those two.

Best Comedy Series
Will Win - Ted Lasso
Could Win - The Bear, Barry, or Jury Duty
Should Win - Abbott Elementary or The Bear
Commentary - The Bear is really coming in strong, with their smart move to air their fantastic second season during the middle of Emmy voting. A lot of folks are moving their predictions to it. It could easily win, and I would not be surprised if it did. It did very well with the Creative Arts Emmys, and it has the buzz. But voters are clearly still in love with Ted Lasso, and after underestimating it last year, I will not make the same mistake again. I think it three-peats. Voters love multiple winners in a row, this series makes them feel good (The Bear not so much), and at the time of voting, it had more heat on it than its does now (hard to remember how it looked so many months ago). I could be wrong, and as much as I loved the show, I hope I am, but I think Ted Lasso goes out on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment