Tuesday, July 21, 2020

2020 Emmy Nomination Predictions: Final Predictions - Best Guest Actor and Actress in a Comedy Series

Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Jon Hamm "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Luke Kirby "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" 
Zachary Levi "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" 
John Mulaney "Saturday Night Live" 
Eddie Murphy "Saturday Night Live" 
Fred Willard "Modern Family" 

Other Contenders - Dustin Milligan "Schitt's Creek", Jason Alexander "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", Larry David "Saturday Night Live", Matt Bomer "Will & Grace", Will Ferrell "Saturday Night Live", RuPaul Charles "Saturday Night Live", Mark Hamill "What We Do in the Shadows", Brad Pitt "Saturday Night Live", Adam Driver "Saturday Night Live", Timothy Olyphant "The Good Place", Victor Garber "Schitt's Creek", 

Commentary - Once again, I expect surprises this year, but I will say, I feel decent about these predictions, which is not normally something I say for Guest categories. Of course, then I look at all the names I'm leaving off and then I get uncomfortable again. I feel pretty good about Eddie Murphy's chances, and he was so good hosting SNL again, he should win easily. I also think that John Mulaney will return for SNL, as he too is great at the sketch comedy. I think Maisel will get Luke Kirby in again, he did win for this role before, and also Zachary Levi, who had a great role. Jon Hamm is such a favorite, that I think he will get in, but I don't think he is a lock. Finally, the great Fred Willard could win, and it would be a nice posthumous honor for one of comedy's best. I love the thought that Dustin Milligan could get in for Schitt's Creek, as he was always one of my favorites on the show. Victor Garber had a great role as well. Jason Alexander could replace Levi for Maisel, and the various SNL hosts are always a possibility. Finally, look out for Mark Hamill, who was awesome in What We Do in the Shadows, Timothy Olyphant for the last season of The Good Place, and Matt Bomer. 

Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
Angela Bassett "A Black Lady Sketch Show"
Scarlett Johansson "Saturday Night Live"
Lisa Kudrow "The Good Place"
Maya Rudolph "The Good Place"
Wanda Sykes "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
Phoebe Waller-Bridge "Saturday Night Live"

Other Contenders - Jane Krakowski "Curb Your Enthusiasm", Bette Midler "The Politican", Judith Light "The Politican", Allison Janney "The Kominsky Method", Minnie Driver "Will & Grace", Laverne Cox "Dear White People", Bernadette Peters "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist",  Valerie Mahaffey "Dead to Me", Carol Burnett "Mad About You", Margot Robbie "Dollface", Molly Shannon "Will & Grace"

Commentary - So many pundits are predicting that Bette Midler and Judith Light get nominated, despite the fact that The Politician is not that great. I love them too, but I'm hoping that voters don't just name check them, without looking at the project itself. So I'm not predicting them. I feel confident about Maya Rudolph returning, Wanda Sykes for Maisel (She was nominated several times for black-ish, and this a great role), and Phoebe Waller-Bridge for her excellent turn hosting SNL. The other three slots feel fluid. Kudrow is always a favorite, and The Good Place is set to do well this year. Scarlett Johansson did a good job hosting SNL, and is coming off of a double-Oscar nominated year, so she is definitely in the forefront of voters' minds. Finally, I am going out on a limb for Angela Bassett. She is so damn good in A Black Lady Sketch Show, that I think she can get in, especially in this year where there was a lot more time to watch these underrated shows. But, she could also lose out to folks like Jane Krakowski, Allison Janney, Laverne Cox, Bernadette Peters, Margot Robbie, Molly Shannon, Minnie Driver, Bernadette Peters, Valerie Mahaffey, and the legendary Carol Burnett. 

No comments:

Post a Comment