Sunday, July 19, 2020

2020 Emmy Nomination Predictions: Final Predictions - Best Actor and Actress in a Limited Series/TV Movie

Best Actor in a Limited Series/TV Movie
Russell Crowe "The Loudest Voice" 
Jeremy Irons "Watchmen" 
Hugh Jackman "Bad Education"
Aaron Paul "El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie"
Mark Ruffalo "I Know This Much is True"

Other Contenders - Paul Mescal "Normal People", Chris Evans "Defending Jacob", Nick Offerman "Devs", Jeremy Pope "Hollywood", David Corenswet "Hollywood", Andre Holland "The Eddy", Sacha Baron Cohen "The Spy" 

Commentary - This race has felt like a solid five for a long time, which makes me wonder where the shakeup is going to be. Crowe, Irons, Jackman, Paul, and Ruffalo all have the performances, the popularity, the respect, etc. that all goes into Emmy gold. But what about Mescal, Evans, Offerman, Pope, and Holland? Are they in the mix? Right now I'm leaving the five, knowing there is a really good shot of getting at least four. But in a year that feels unpredictable, I feel like I'm missing something. 

Best Actress in a Limited Series/TV Movie
Cate Blanchett "Mrs. America"
Kaitlyn Dever "Unbelievable" 
Regina King "Watchmen"
Merritt Wever "Unbelievable" 
Reese Witherspoon "Little Fires Everywhere"

Other Contenders - Shira Haas "Unorthodox", Kerry Washington "Little Fires Everywhere", Octavia Spencer "Self Made", Zoe Kazan "The Plot Against America", Daisy Edgar-Jones "Normal People", Aunjanue Ellis "The Clark Sisters", Kathryn Hahn "Mrs. Fletcher"

Commentary - This is one of those categories, where I wish we could have more than 5 nominees. The more I look at this sliding scale, the more I think it will continue to be adapted over the years. How do you get to five nominees? I stuck with four series I think are going to get nominated for Limited Series, and their leads: Blanchett, Dever/Wever, King, and I am thinking Witherspoon has the bigger role over Washington, although in a year of six, I think both would get in. But that leaves out Shira Hass, who I really think could upset, Octavia Spencer, Zoe Kazan, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Aujanue Ellis, and Kathryn Hahn, all of whom are worthy. Once again, I feel like I'm missing something, cause it seems too easy to get to five. 

No comments:

Post a Comment