Friday, January 1, 2010

Top 10 Movies of 2009

One more retrospective...Personal picks, some guilty pleasures...enjoy.

10. Nine - Say what you want about Rob Marshall's latest, but for me, I stopped thinking like a critic and enjoyed this movie simply because of the fact that it was a lot of fun to watch. Sure the direction and editing was a little off. But the shear starpower, incredible technicals, and showstopping musical outweighed the bad. Guily pleasure alert.

9. Pirate Radio - The story and direction were all over the map, but for me, I have never laughed more in a movie than I did in this little British gem. The actors were being themselves, having a good time, and dammit it was contagious....another guilt pleasure.

8. Precious - While I felt this was a little overrated, you cannot deny the superb acting, especially by the wisecracking turned vicious Mo'Nique, and the subtly beautiful performance from newcomer Gabby Sidibe. More importantly, you can't deny the movies utter power and the resonance it leaves with you long after you leave the theater.

7. The Princess and the Frog - In an incredible year for animation, this 2-D, handsketched Disney gem really stood out for me. It was so nice to finally see an African American princess, combine that with humor, toe-tapping music, and brilliant visuals, and you have a stirring event.

6. In the Loop - This quirky little comedy was robbed at the Golden Globes, and Peter Capaldi was a revelation. There's really not much else to say, except, see this movie!

5. Julie & Julia - Meryl Streep was a revelation as Julia Child, combine that with an edible story, a bright co-star, and you have a winner. In a summer of loud, dramatic movies, J & J provide us with a suprising culinary delight - an enjoyable movie.

4. Up - Like I said, this was a great year for animated movies. Pixar continually outdoes itself, and raises the bar on originality and pure entertainment. Up was a delight to watch, and while it lacked the full knock-out of Wall-E, it definitely had the story and visuals to become one of the finest bullets in the Pixar cannon.

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - After flip-flopping on directors, the Harry Potter series has finally found the right tone. Combining teen angst, with the growing darkness made the sixth entry one of the most dramatic and entertaining of the series. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, I can't wait to see how it ends.

2. Up in the Air - I had to see it to believe it, but the buzz is absolutely deserved for Jason Reitman's lastest dramedy masterpiece. George Clooney is perfect, Vera Farmiga is radiant, and Anna Kendrick is snappy, a combination that makes for a winning ensemble. The incredible script and excellent directing don't hurt.

1. Avatar - I'll post a review tomorrow for both Avatar and Up in the Air, or at least by Sunday, so for now all I will say is this: Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment