Saturday, January 23, 2010

SAG Predictions

Tonight the Screen Actors Guild presents its annual awards. Here is a quick preview and my predictions.

Supporting Actor and Actress -

Mo'Nique and Christoph Waltz....need I say more?

Best Actress

This one is the really tricky one. They just awarded Meryl the prize last year, and may not want to be too generous or greedy or whatever. Another point, they tend to award bigger blockbusters than the Oscars, which may give an edge to Sandra Bullock, although it wasn't like Julie & Julia was a dud by any means. To be honest, I think its almost a virtual tie, but I'd bet more money on Streep at this point.

Best Actor

Once again, we have another horse race. While Jeff Bridges will most likely go on to win the Oscar, here at the SAG awards, I think we could see an interesting turn of events. George Clooney has never won an individual SAG award, (for that matter neither has Bridges), and there is a possibility that because of Up in the Air being a bigger movie, more people have seen it. That being said, I feel that the entire Hollywood community also doesn't want a black mark on their Oscars, and so they may continue Bridges' role towards the Oscar he deserves.

Best Ensemble

If Nine still wants a shot at landing a Best Picture nod, it needs a huge upset victory here, a victory I don't think will happen. Just cause it has starpower does not mean that actors are completely dumb enough to reward a bad movie (they haven't done it yet at least). An Education could also see a huge bump, but it might be too small for the Guild's taste. That leaves a three horse race. The Hurt Locker could pull a Slumdog where they reward the better film, not the better cast. However I think that Precious or Inglourious Basterds has the better chance, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the pure starpower and box office power of Inglourious Basterds.

No comments:

Post a Comment