Friday, January 24, 2020

2020 Grammy Predictions: General Field

Album of the Year
Will Win - Lizzo "Cuz I Love You"
Could Win - Billie Eilish "when we fall asleep, where do we go?"
Should Win - Lizzo "Cuz I Love You"
Commentary - There have been exceptions over the years, but often this award either goes to an older, veteran, or it goes to a younger star that has an old school sound. This makes me think that the funky, new age pop sound of Billie Eilish might not be as popular as many pundits are predicting. Instead, I am thinking that Lizzo might be the beneficiary of this issue. Lizzo has so many different styles on her album, but much of it has an old-school funk, R&B, and jazz vibe that might appeal to the broadest range of voters. I am probably wrong, but beyond her and Eilish, I don't know who would emerge.

Record of the Year
Will Win - Lizzo "Truth Hurts"
Could Win - Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus "Old Town Road" and Billie Eilish "Bad Guy"
Should Win - Lizzo "Truth Hurts"
Commentary - Does the biggest hit of the year, Old Town Road, win, over better songs? Will Billie Eilish reign supreme over the whole thing? Will Lizzo weep? Will Eilish? These are the questions I don't know, but for my money, Lizzo might just be the surprise that keeps on surprising all night.

Song of the Year
Will Win - Truth Hurts (Lizzo)
Could Win - Bad Guy (Billie Eilish) or Bring My Flowers Now (Tanya Tucker) or Lover (Taylor Swift)
Should Win - Truth Hurts or Bring My Flowers
Commentary - I am predicting a Lizzo sweep of the top three categories, knowing full and well that it could be an Eilish sweep, or be one of those years where everything is all mixed up. I would not bet against Swift, who is just so popular, or Tanya Tucker. Kacey Musgraves proved last year that Country voters will rally behind their favorites and Tucker is the only real legend in the lineup this year, and the only Country general field nominee.

Best New Artist
Will Win - Billie Eilish
Could Win - Lizzo
Should Win - Lizzo
Commentary - I am predicting Eilish in one category. I know his seems counter intuitive, but I could see them throwing her a bone, while Lizzo takes the top prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment