Thursday, August 16, 2018

2018 Emmy Predictions - Best Unstructured and Structured Reality Series

Best Structured Reality Program
Will Win - Shark Tank

Could Win - Queer Eye

Should Win - Queer Eye

Commentary - I really want to believe that Netflix's Queer Eye can break through here and win, as its predecessor did over 14 years ago. But Shark Tank has been such a mammoth in this category for years now, and I know how Emmy voters work, particularly in the Reality categories. Once they like you, they have a hard time letting you go. Plus, I really expected it to get into the host category, and it didn't. Although it managed three total nominations compared to Shark Tank's one. This makes for an interesting race, but I am sticking with Shark Tank until Emmy voters prove me wrong. I really hope they do.

Best Unstructured Reality Program
Will Win - United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell

Could Win - Born this Way, Deadliest Catch, or RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked

Should Win - United Shade of America

Commentary - Your last three winners in this category, United Shades, Born This Way, and Deadliest Catch all return, and all could inspire Emmy voters once again. Then you throw in a fourth contender in Drag Race: Untucked. I could see Emmy voters giving it the win here to give The Voice its like tenth undeserved win. I am hoping that Emmy voters don't do that, and reward both Drag Race (in competition where it belongs) and then give United Shades a second Emmy. It captures the political zeitgeist, and I think Emmy voters will respond once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment