Thursday, August 30, 2018

2018 Emmy Predictions: Best Directing and Writing in a Comedy and Drama Series

Best Directing in a Comedy Series
Will Win - Hiro Murai "Atlanta - Teddy Perkins"

Could Win - Amy Sherman-Palladino "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Pilot"

Should Win - Either Teddy Perkins or Mrs. Maisel

Commentary - Two really great episodes are going head to head here. Pilots do really well in writing and directing categories, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's is a marvelous experience indeed. But I think that the completely unique experience that was the Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta, and its innate artistry will inspire voters to this give series back to back Emmy directing wins.

Best Writing in a Comedy Series
Will Win - Amy Sherman-Palladino "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Pilot"

Could Win -  Alec Berg and Bill Hader "Barry - Chapter One" or Donald Glover "Atlanta - Alligator Man"

Should Win - Amy Sherman-Palladino "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Pilot"

Commentary - Did I tell you that Emmy voters love pilots? I have loved the fast-paced humor of Amy Sherman-Palladino for years, and with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel she finally has her shot at Emmy gold. I think that this and Atlanta split these two categories setting up the epic battle that is brewing for Best Comedy Series. Speaking of Atlanta, of the two episodes, the one Donald Glover is probably the safer bet based on name recoginition alone. But I think if anything is going to upset Maisel here, it is going to be Barry. Bill Hader is the type of writer/director/producer that has done well in this category in the recent past, and they clearly love the show. I'm sticking with Maisel, which was far better in my opinion, but I have my eye on Barry.

Best Directing in a Drama Series
Will Win - Kari Skogland "The Handmaid's Tale - After"

Could Win - One of the Game of Thrones episodes

Should Win - Jeremy Podeswa "Game of Thrones - The Dragon and the Wolf"

Commentary - I think that The Handmaid's Tale is going to sweep again like it did last year, despite the inclusion of Game of Thrones. So I think it takes directing. But if I'm wrong, then one of the Game of  Thrones episodes will rise to the top. I think Beyond the Wall has the best shot because it is most lavish. But for my money, I hope Dragon and the Wolf wins if they decide to go that route.

Best Writing in a Drama Series
Will Win - Joe Fields and Joe Weisberg "The Americans - Start"

Could Win - Bruce Miller "The Handmaid's Tale - June"

Should Win -  Joe Fields and Joe Weisberg "The Americans - Start"

Commentary - Conventional wisdom says Bruce Miller wins again for The Handmaid's Tale, and that is probably the safest bet. But I don't think Emmy voters are going to let The Americans walk away empty handed this year. Like Friday Night Lights in its final year, it may not win Drama Series, but voters finally realized it needed something of substance on its final turn at bat. I think it is going to pull off an upset here and finally get its overdue moment on the Emmy stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment