Thursday, September 2, 2021

2021 Emmy Predictions: Best Directing and Writing in a Limited Series or TV Movie

Best Directing in a TV Movie/Limited Series
Will Win - Scott Frank "The Queen's Gambit"
Could Win - Any of the Other four
Should Win - Sam Miller and Michaela Coel "I May Destroy You" 
Commentary - Without Steven McQueen, this category feels wrong. That being said it is a packed race, where I can literally see any of the contenders winning. I May Destroy You, with two contenders, might split votes, although it deserves the win. Barry Jenkins is an Oscar winner, but his series, while well-liked, does not have as much buzz as the other contenders. WandaVision could win for its blend of styles and visual appeal. Mare of Easttown is extremely popular, and is the last major contender to premiere to voters, so it is fresh on their minds.  I am going with The Queen's Gambit. It is still incredibly popular with voters, and although it has been so long since it aired, I think voters are still on board, at least enough for it to win a few categories. But there is the elephant in the room. Hamilton. It did better than expected with nominations, and in the back of my mind, I feel like it could surprise again.  

Best Writing in a TV Movie/Limited Series
Will Win - Michela Coel "I May Destroy You" 
Could Win - Scott Frank "The Queen's Gambit" and Brad Ingelsby "Mare of Easttown" 
Should Win - Michela Coel "I May Destroy You" 
Commentary - I liked WandaVision, but how it got three writing nods is still a mystery to me. It also means that it will most likely lose out on the actual win. The Queen's Gambit is strong, and could sweep, and Mare of Easttown is a late-breaking contender. But I think that, when it comes to writing, no series is more deserving than I May Destroy You, which is also a huge contender across the board. I think it win, and I really hope it does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment