Thursday, September 6, 2018

2018 Emmy Predictions: Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Will Win - Thandie Newton "Westworld"

Could Win - Ann Dowd "The Handmaid's Tale", Yvonne Strahovski "The Handmaid's Tale", or Vanessa Kirby "The Crown"

Should Win- Thandie Newton "Westworld"

Commentary - After Ann Dowd's surprise win last year, this category is causing me concern. Will Dowd win again? Conventional wisdom says yes. She managed to win last year over her co-star Samira Wiley and a tough lineup. But this year she faces not just one co-star, but two. Last year's Guest winner Alexis Bledel, and Yvonne Strahovski, who has a lot of pundits predicting her. When you are the clear standout, like Sterling K. Brown or Kate McKinnon, then it doesn't matter. But I think an Emmy winner already for the same role, and a huge breakout star could pull away enough votes in this new system that could lead to a split decision and a new winner. I think two contenders benefit from this. First is Vanessa Kirby, a surprise nominee for The Crown. The show did better than most folks were predicting in terms of nominations, and she was a standout this season. But I think that this paves the way for Thandie Newton. She was magnificent in Westworld this season, has tons of great buzz, and has incredible range (she spends an entire episode speaking in Japanese). This is my one big, out on a limb pick, and I know there is a very good chance I am wrong. But I have this hunch that this category is not going to go the way most folks are predicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment