Monday, July 11, 2022

2022 Emmy Nomination Predictions: Best Drama Series and Best Comedy Series

Best Drama Series
Ozark
Severance
Squid Game
Stranger Things
Succession
This is Us
Yellowjackets
Yellowstone

Other Contenders - Better Call Saul,  Euphoria, Pachinko, Killing Eve, The Morning Show

Commentary - I did a stupid thing that I will probably regret, but I moved out Better Call Saul. It slipped a lot in its last Emmy showing, and the are just so many buzzed shows coming in strong this year. If it ends up getting nominated, I will not be surprised, but instead, I added back in Yellowjackets. I feel pretty good about Succession, Squid Game, and Ozark. Beyond that, I see wiggle room. I think that Yellowstone, after its sudden rise on the awards circuit, is in, as are two hot new series Yellowjackets and Severance. I moved back in This is Us for its final season, a move that goes against many pundits. Finally, I added back in Stranger Things based on the buzz alone. This season is everywhere, and is breaking Nielson ratings. I could though see Better Call Saul or Killing Eve gettting back in, or upstart shows like The Morning Show and Euphoria breaking through. 

Best Comedy Series
Abbott Elementary
Atlanta
Barry
Hacks
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Only Murders in the Building
Ted Lasso
What We Do in the Shadows

Other Contenders - black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Reservation Dogs, Better Things, Somebody Somewhere, Insecure, The Afterparty, Russian Doll

Commentary - I have settled on this group for awhile, which concerns me. I am not at all worried about Ted Lasso, Hacks, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. All are incredibly popular with these voters. Only Murders in the Building did well on the winter circuit, and had a second season premiere in the thick of voting. Barry and Atlanta have been out of the game for awhile, but both were wildly popular in their previous Emmy outings. What We Do in the Shadows was a huge surprise nominee for its previous season, so I am betting on a return. Finally, I am going with breakout hit Abbott Elementary which dominated the TCA Award nominations, has been a huge ratings hit, and has campaigned hard for Emmy love. black-ish, Insecure, Russian Doll, and Curb Your Enthusiasm could all return, The Afterparty and Reservation Dogs were breakout hits, and Emmy voters should be paying attention to Better Things and Somebody Somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment